Liver is the largest internal organ performing the several crucial functions like processing of nutrition, production of bile a fluid that helps the body to absorb fats and cholesterol, making proteins, regulating the functions of immune system etc. Due to several risk factors like excessive alcohol consumption, obesity, diabetes, unprotected sex or genetic reasons the liver of the person may get affected. The liver is the only body organ that holds the capacity of regenerating itself. However, when this capacity of the liver is lost the treatment options like lifestyle changes, medications and surgery are used. At the initial stages of damage, a doctor may recommend the patient to make some lifestyle changes and take medications. But, when no other treatment option is able to provide relief to the patient, as a last resort liver transplant treatment is chosen. It is an end-stage chronic liver condition treatment wherein the damaged liver of the patient is replaced with the healthy liver of the donor.
The right kind of nutrition plays a major role in helping the body to recover fast. During the initial phase oftransplant,it is imperative for the patient to eat food items rich in calories and protein as they help the body to heal, fight infection, and provide you the required energy. Moreover, your healthy diet after the liver transplant shall comprise of the food items that will keep a check on your body weight. Let us take a complete list of the things to be included and excluded from your ideal diet plan.
Anyone these items must mandatorily be included in your diet.
2. Fiber-Make sure to include high fiber food items in your daily meals. Some of the items rich in fiber include the following-
3. Calcium- Due to use of steroids during the treatment a person’s bones may become week increasing the risk of fractures. Thus, it is essential for the patient to intake the diet high in calcium and vitamin D. Some of the good sources of calcium and Vitamin D includes the following-
1. Sugar- A medicine called prednisoneused after the transplant may result in high blood sugar level. It is important for you to manage the blood sugar level and limit the intake of carbohydrates. Some of the food items to be excluded from your diet are as follows-
2. Raw or undercooked meats, raw seafood/shellfish/sushi.
3. Unpasteurized milk/dairy products.
4. Unpasteurized fruit juices and ciders.
5. Fresh (uncooked) bean sprouts/alfalfa sprouts.
Apart from taking the healthy diet after the liver transplant, several important measures must be undertaken while preparing and storing the food. Some of these precautions include the following-
Also Read: diet after bone marrow transplant
At HealBoat, our focus remains on creating an ecosystem where people and healthcare service providers can connect with each other so as to augment the level of healthcare services in the country. With our specialized web portal, people can easily browse through an extensive list of hospitals and doctors who can take them on a healthier, happier and fulfilling future. For any kind of healthcare need, HealBoat is undoubtedly the best choice indeed.
Our ground-breaking approach to healthcare delivery is poised to write new success stories in the field of Indian healthcare system. Finding a reputed healthcare expert was never so easy and fast. We have a strong and extensive network of hospitals that enables us match the varied needs of patients coming from various sections of the society. From high-end medical tests to complex surgeries, we have specialists who are known for providing exemplary medical care in India.